Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 12:00:23 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@ns.phbtsus.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS benchmarks (was: remember mary baker and kevin lai?)

Jonathan M. Bresler <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org> recently said:

 > mary baker and kevin lai presented a paper at this winter's usenix
 > conference comparing FreeBSD linux and solaris on the same
 > hardware.  you all may remember there conclusions: linux is not the
 > fastest but it doesnt matter.
 >
 > kevin has a new "data point" regarding NFS caching and the
 > performance of linux vs FreeBSD.  he chose FreeBSD because "it's
 > considered to have a high performance NFS implementation."  and
 > "its more efficient networking implementation"
 >
 > the result is that linux does NFS caching. cached reads are faster :)

Of course, it was a very unbalanced review; he never bothered
attempting to read data that was being changed on the server!  One of
the biggest headaches in NFS performance is reading files that cannot
be cached, because they are dynamically updated.  If you use NFS for
sharing executables, this is of little concern; executables are not
changed that often (at least not on my systems).  If you use NFS for
databases, or source code repositories (CVS, RCS, etc) for software
developers, this is a critical point.

All in all, it was an amateurish and limited benchmark.  Perhaps
Ms. Baker and Mr. Lai should read a few *GOOD* magazine reviews before
attempting to embarass themselves so publicly in the future?  I
suggest looking up any of the reviews from the _Advanced Systems_
(alas, now defunct) ASTC; they were marvelous.  The current test
center in _Unix Review_ is coming along nicely, and I hope they will
soon be as good as the ASTC was.

 > ps.  plesae excuse the tone of this post, i have toned it down twice.
 > before judging me too harshly please read the web page.

I'm glad you took the time to edit your posting; this one was well
stated and not at all flammable.  That Linux crowd!  ;^)

--

                        I'd rather be sailing.

Wes Peters			   the briney, briney deep                   wes@intele.net