Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:08:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Eric S. Van Gyzen" <esv@vangyzen.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/27882: docs: Misspellings, Grammar Errors, Punctuation Errors

>Number:         27882
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       docs: Misspellings, Grammar Errors, Punctuation Errors
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD hiro.vangyzen.net 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Tue Apr 24 13:30:09 EDT 2001 vangyzen@hiro.vangyzen.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/HIRO i386

Modified File: $FreeBSD: doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking/chapter.sgml,v 1.41 2001/05/28 13:41:56 sheldonh Exp $

See the following "diff" for a full description of the problems I fixed.
Most were obvious typos. I am fairly certain that none of my fixes
altered the semantics of the content.
Incidentally, this is a pretty good introduction to NIS.  Thanks!

>How-To-Repeat:
N/A

>Fix:

*** chapter.sgml.orig	Mon Jun  4 19:36:12 2001
--- chapter.sgml	Mon Jun  4 19:48:23 2001
***************
*** 1456,1462 ****
                master's data files.  NIS slave servers provide the redundancy,
                which is needed in important environments. They also help
                to balance the load of the master server:  NIS Clients always
!               attach to the NIS server, whose response they get first, and
                this includes slave-server-replies.</para>
            </listitem>
            <listitem>
--- 1456,1462 ----
                master's data files.  NIS slave servers provide the redundancy,
                which is needed in important environments. They also help
                to balance the load of the master server:  NIS Clients always
!               attach to the NIS server whose response they get first, and
                this includes slave-server-replies.</para>
            </listitem>
            <listitem>
***************
*** 1552,1558 ****
  	    that it is part of.  This is how multiple servers on one
  	    network can tell which server should answer which request.
  	    Think of the NIS domainname as the name for a group of hosts
! 	    that are related in someway way.</para>

  	  <para>Some organizations choose to use their Internet domainname
  	    for their NIS domainname. This is not recommended as it can
--- 1552,1558 ----
  	    that it is part of.  This is how multiple servers on one
  	    network can tell which server should answer which request.
  	    Think of the NIS domainname as the name for a group of hosts
! 	    that are related in some way.</para>

  	  <para>Some organizations choose to use their Internet domainname
  	    for their NIS domainname. This is not recommended as it can
***************
*** 1641,1647 ****
              </listitem>
            </itemizedlist>

!           <para>Now, everything you have to do is to run the command
              <command>/etc/netstart</command> as superuser.  It will
              setup everything for you, using the values you defined in
--- 1641,1647 ----
              </listitem>
            </itemizedlist>

!           <para>Now, all you have to do is to run the command
              <command>/etc/netstart</command> as superuser.  It will
              setup everything for you, using the values you defined in
***************
*** 1815,1822 ****
  	  <para>These two lines force the slave to sync its maps with
  	    the maps on the master server.  Although this is
  	    not mandatory, because the master server
! 	    tries to make sure any changes to it's NIS maps are
! 	    communicated to it's slaves, the password
  	    information is so vital to systems that depend on the server,
  	    that it is a good idea to force the updates.  This is more
  	    important on busy networks where map updates might not always
--- 1815,1822 ----
  	  <para>These two lines force the slave to sync its maps with
  	    the maps on the master server.  Although this is
  	    not mandatory, because the master server
! 	    tries to make sure any changes to its NIS maps are
! 	    communicated to its slaves, the password
  	    information is so vital to systems that depend on the server,
  	    that it is a good idea to force the updates.  This is more
  	    important on busy networks where map updates might not always
***************
*** 1857,1863 ****
  	  <title>Setting up an NIS client</title>

  	  <para>Setting up a FreeBSD machine to be a NIS client is fairly
! 	    straight forward.</para>

  	  <itemizedlist>
  	    <listitem>
--- 1857,1863 ----
  	  <title>Setting up an NIS client</title>

  	  <para>Setting up a FreeBSD machine to be a NIS client is fairly
! 	    straightforward.</para>

  	  <itemizedlist>
  	    <listitem>
***************
*** 2044,2050 ****
          users and/or machines.  On larger networks, you
          <emphasis>will</emphasis> forget to bar some users from logging
          onto sensitive machines, or you may even have to modify each
!         machine separately, thus loosing the main benefit of NIS,

        <para>The NIS developers' solution for this problem is called
--- 2044,2050 ----
          users and/or machines.  On larger networks, you
          <emphasis>will</emphasis> forget to bar some users from logging
          onto sensitive machines, or you may even have to modify each
!         machine separately, thus losing the main benefit of NIS,

        <para>The NIS developers' solution for this problem is called
***************
*** 2122,2128 ****
              </row>
              <row>
                <!-- gluttony was omitted because it was too fat ;-) -->
!               <entry>pride, greed, envy, wraith, lust, sloth</entry>
                <entry>Less important servers.  All members of the IT
                  department are allowed to login onto these machines.</entry>
              </row>
--- 2122,2128 ----
              </row>
              <row>
                <!-- gluttony was omitted because it was too fat ;-) -->
!               <entry>pride, greed, envy, wrath, lust, sloth</entry>
                <entry>Less important servers.  All members of the IT
                  department are allowed to login onto these machines.</entry>
              </row>
***************
*** 2148,2161 ****
          -<replaceable>user</replaceable> line to each system's passwd
          for each user who is not allowed to login onto that system.
          If you forget just one entry, you could be in trouble.  It may
!         feasible to do this correctly during the initial setup,
          however you <emphasis>will</emphasis> eventually forget to add
          the lines for new users during day-to-day operations.  After
          all, Murphy was an optimist.</para>

        <para>Handling this situation with netgroups offers several
          advantages.  Each user need not be handled separately;
!         you assign a user to one or netgroup and allow or forbid
          logins for all members of the netgroup.  If you add a new
          machine, you will only have to define login restrictions for
          netgroups.  If a new user is added, you will only have to add
--- 2148,2161 ----
          -<replaceable>user</replaceable> line to each system's passwd
          for each user who is not allowed to login onto that system.
          If you forget just one entry, you could be in trouble.  It may
!         be feasible to do this correctly during the initial setup,
          however you <emphasis>will</emphasis> eventually forget to add
          the lines for new users during day-to-day operations.  After
          all, Murphy was an optimist.</para>

        <para>Handling this situation with netgroups offers several
          advantages.  Each user need not be handled separately;
!         you assign a user to one or more netgroups and allow or forbid
          logins for all members of the netgroup.  If you add a new
          machine, you will only have to define login restrictions for
          netgroups.  If a new user is added, you will only have to add
***************
*** 2194,2200 ****
            <para>The name of the host(s) where the following items are
              valid.  If you do not specify a hostname, the entry is
              valid on all hosts.  If you do specify a hostname, you
!             will a realm of darkness, horror and utter confusion.</para>
          </listitem>

          <listitem>
--- 2194,2200 ----
            <para>The name of the host(s) where the following items are
              valid.  If you do not specify a hostname, the entry is
              valid on all hosts.  If you do specify a hostname, you
!             will enter a realm of darkness, horror and utter confusion.</para>
          </listitem>

          <listitem>
***************
*** 2231,2237 ****

          <programlisting>BIGGRP1  (,joe1,domain)  (,joe2,domain)  (,joe3,domain) [...]
  BIGGRP2  (,joe16,domain)  (,joe17,domain) [...]
! BIGGRP3  (,joe32,domain)  (,joe33,domain)
  BIGGROUP  BIGGRP1 BIGGRP2 BIGGRP3</programlisting>

          <para>You can repeat this process if you need more than 225
--- 2231,2237 ----

          <programlisting>BIGGRP1  (,joe1,domain)  (,joe2,domain)  (,joe3,domain) [...]
  BIGGRP2  (,joe16,domain)  (,joe17,domain) [...]
! BIGGRP3  (,joe31,domain)  (,joe32,domain)
  BIGGROUP  BIGGRP1 BIGGRP2 BIGGRP3</programlisting>

          <para>You can repeat this process if you need more than 225
***************
*** 2250,2256 ****
          <filename>netgroup</filename>,
          <filename>netgroup.byhost</filename> and
          <filename>netgroup.byuser</filename>.  Use &man.ypcat.1; to
!         check if your new NIS map are available:</para>

        <screen>
  ellington&prompt.user; <userinput>ypcat -k netgroup</userinput>
--- 2250,2256 ----
          <filename>netgroup</filename>,
          <filename>netgroup.byhost</filename> and
          <filename>netgroup.byuser</filename>.  Use &man.ypcat.1; to
!         check if your new NIS maps are available:</para>