Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:03:59 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@worldbank.org>, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd@isvara.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: Amazing :-)

I am sorry . I redid make world with async,noatime and it takes 1:15 minutes
to do a make world and I had X running on my system

mount
/dev/sd0a on / (local)
devfs on dummy_mount (local)
/dev/sd0f on /usr (asynchronous, NFS exported, local, noatime)
/dev/sd0e on /var (local)
procfs on /proc (local)

CPU is PPro 200Mhz with 96MB of memory
scsi controller adpatec 2940UW
disk : sd0: <SEAGATE ST34501W 0017> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
thats a 4gig 10000rpm disk really good to record live yuv streams for mpeg
encoding 8)

My mods to /etc/make.conf:
NOCLEAN=true
CFLAGS= -O  -pipe
NOPROFILE=      true

It is not clear that with a faster  i/o subsystem that we will get much
better times.

        Cheers,
        Amancio