Date:      09 Nov 2000 15:43:24 -0800
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        nik@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OK, I figured out why docs aren't building in the release candidates

 * From: Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>

 * It's that darned AUXRELEASETAG hack that ports and apparently now docs
 * depend on. :-(
 *
 * If I leave AUXRELEASETAG unset and build the release with
 * RELEASETAG=RELENG_4, as I must for all BETAs and interim release
 * candidate snapshots for which I have no tags, then -current ports and
 * doc is used.  Unfortunately, the -current ports collection has been
 * falling over for me if I use it, so I set AUXRELEASETAG=RELEASE_4_2_0

That is not good.  We should fix it.  Something like doc building
ports are *not* supposed to be broken in ports-current (which also
doubles as ports-stable).

 * manually and the ports collection checks out a nice working version.
 * Unfortunate, this then means that doc checks out on a non-existant tag
 * and the directory is empty.  Phoo!

Um, you are not supposed to set it to the release tag until all parts
of the trees are tagged. ;-)

 * I think AUXRELEASETAG has gotten itself overloaded - unless you and
 * Satoshi plan on laying down the same tag name at the same time in
 * ports and doc simultaneously, it's not the case that they can share
 * the same tag name.  There needs to be a separate PORTSRELEASETAG
 * and DOCRELEASETAG so that they can be overridden independantly for
 * cases just like this one (which will come up again, I assure you).

Yes, separating it into two (both defaulting to the same value, of
course) is a good idea and will make the tags even more useful.  Do
you have a patch for this, or do you want me to cook up one?

Actually, looking at release/Makefile, I don't see how you can
manually set AUXRELEASETAG since it's !='d from the value of
RELEASETAG (when it matches '^RELENG_.*_RELEASE$'.  Are you using a
local modification?

Satoshi