Date:      Wed, 08 Apr 2015 15:02:44 -0400
From:      John Wolfe <jlw@xinuos.com>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Use of pkg plugins breaks the build of /usr/ports software

Having built a pkg-plugin based on the pkg-plugin-template at
https://github.com/freebsd/pkg-plugins and adding

> PLUGINS [
>         "x-adminsync",
> ]

the plugin is working as desired.    Good so far......

I was caught off guard when later attempting to "make" something in
/usr/ports.  The builds fail miserably with multiple

> pkg-static: Loading of plugin 'x-adminsync' failed: Service unavailable
> pkg-static: Plugins cannot be loaded
> make[1]: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line 1206: warning:
> "/usr/local/sbin/pkg-static version -t 1.4.12 1.3.8" returned non-zero
> status

I would not expect that a static binary be able to load and use a
relocatable object so I am surprised that it even tried to do so. Even
so, a failure should be expected and not terminate the pkg-static process.

Is this a bug, works as designed?

-- John Wolfe    Xinuos, Inc.