Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 15:13:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Page fault in swp_pager_meta_build()

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :(Matt gets CC'd because he's just unlucky :-)
> :
> :This system is (as always) a pxeboot'd nfsroot'd dual processor box.  This
> :time, however, it's running straight GENERIC from the main tree instead of
> :the MAC branch.  The box network boots, does a buildkernel -j 8, and then
> :reboots.  It currently has no configured swap, suggesting that things
> :broke down when it tried to think about using some swap.  Not sure how
> :many loops it took to get to this, but I've seen a couple of different
> :panics that I'll be posting about as they recur.  I'm actually trying to
> :track an odd mbuf/nfs interaction...
>
>     No idea, but the last time someone had a weird swap issue it
>     turned out that they had swapon'd the same swap partition twice.
>     The system's checks are not sufficient if you swapon the same device
>     from different mounts.  So check that first.

It currently has no swap started at all, which is one reason I was rather
puzzled to see this panic:

192.168.50.1:/cboss/devel/nfsroot/crash2.cboss.tislabs.com      / nfs      ro      0       0
proc            /proc   procfs  rw      0       0
/dev/ad0s1e     /mnt    ufs     rw      0       0

>     The swap code preallocates its bitmap space, the hash table array is
>     malloc'd once at boot time, and the swblock is zalloc()'d.  From the
>     looks of it the hash chain either got corrupted somehow or part of
>     the kernel's KVM space containing either the hash table or
>     the swblock's got corrupted.  Unless someone worked on the swap
>     code recently I would focus on either the memory subsystem or
>     on unrelated kernel subsystems blowing up KVK.

Should it even be hitting this code if swap hasn't been enabled?  I've run
into a couple of other weird bugs and wouldn't be surprised if there is a
memory allocation problem.  The problem I was actually trying to reproduce
with these two crash boxes was one where the socket used by NFS get
zero'd, resulting in a null pointer dereference.  The other one is in odd
panic in the mutex code during an early VFS operation.