Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 09:49:55 -0700
From:      "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>
To:        schofiel@xs4all.nl
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: The multiple COM ports discussion

schofiel@xs4all.nl said:
>4) In the PC/ISA scheme, interrupts are POSITIVE-GOING, EDGE triggered.
>   In the EISA scheme, interrupts are by the default compatible to this,
>   but can be configured to be ACTIVE LOW, LEVEL triggered.
>5) TRistate interrupt line drivers are not neccessary in this scheme.

What do you mean by "this scheme?"  If you mean that "ACTIVE LOW, LEVEL
triggered" is "this scheme," fine.  All that is needed then is OPEN and
ACTIVE LOW -- two states in ths strictest sense (though people often use
"tristate" when all they really mean is that one state is OPEN).  If "this
scheme" is "POSITIVE-GOING, EDGE triggered," see my hardware concern below.

>7) Multiple ISA-type interrupting devices can be placed on a single
>   interupt line, electrically. The ISA standard (no joke, there is one)
>   does not however closely specify how interrupt drivers should be
>   implemented for uniformity.

Both ISA and EISA wire all interrupt "pins" on their motherboard connectors
together.  The only ISA standard I have any familiarity with is the 8 MHz
IBM PC/AT, and the IBM-supplied boards that went with it.  Those boards
drove their interrupt lines with two states, ACTIVE HIGH and ACTIVE LOW.
There was no OPEN state.  There was no output resistor to mediate between
"dualing" bus driver circuits.  Therefore, there was no possibility of
getting predictable results from putting two boards on the same interrupt.
For each of the four combinations of two boards asserting or not asserting
an interrupt you could get board-one dominance, board-two dominance, or you
could get the privilege of replacing fried parts.  It all depended upon the
variable details of the driver circuits on both boards.  Most of the time
the hardware survived this kind of abuse because the board designers
accounted for the possibility of people accidently installing two boards at
the same interrupt.

What is the mechanism used by the "ISA standard" you found, to handle the
problem of dualing bus driver circuits?
--
David E. Tweten          |  PGP Key fingerprint:        |  tweten@frihet.com
12141 Atrium Drive       |     E9 59 E7 5C 6B 88 B8 90  |     tweten@and.com