Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 11:49:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-uk

> Nik Clayton wrote in message ID
> <199604182026.VAA01002@plum.blueberry.co.uk>:
> > Just kicking around an idea here, but does anyone else feel a need for
> > a freebsd-uk mailing list?
>
> How about a UKFUG too? I know of several people who would be
> interested...

I was thinking of that for the future. I don't have any idea what the take
up of FreeBSD in the UK is, and figured that it's better to start with a
mailing list. If enough people are interested then start up UKFUG.

> >   - Co-ordinating mirrors of FreeBSD information from an ftp, sup and http
> >     standpoint.
>
> I only know of FTP mirrors in the UK :-(

Ditto.

> I have yet to find a machine
> with enough disk space & bandwidth to handle a SUP mirror :-( Although
> I think B1000 could handle a WWW mirror.

It could probably manage a sup as well, given what it spends most of it's
day doing. Given that the mail relay for the lists is brunel.ac.uk as well
this makes a moderate amount of sense.

Unfortunately, I'm not there any more, so can't speak for Brunel's CC, who
would be ok'ing this.

> >   - Meetings, get togethers, pub crawls and so on. . .
>
> Heh. Pub crawls eh? Serious stuff :)

Absolutely.

And something else that I forgot to put in my original message. If there's
enough people interested, I'd really like to get some sort of shipping
distribution channel for FreeBSD related stuff in the UK. I don't know
how many CD-ROMs WC ships to the UK, but I would imagine some savings
can be made by shipping them to one address in the UK, which then forwards
them from there.

Similarly, I'd like to get t-shirts, mugs and the like printed in the UK,
to cut down on shipping costs. With presumably some royalty payments
going back to WC/Core for use of the logo.

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                   Blueberry Design                   ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/      1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk        London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[       Don't anthropomorphize computers.  They don't like it.        ]ENTP