Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 1997 20:37:00 -0600
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   login.conf

Is the /ect/login.conf optional?  I just installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 and in
an effort to discover why I could not login as root from a psuedo
terminal, I discovered that login.conf was not installed in /etc.

When I attempt to login as root from another host, the system console
displays;

login: LOGIN root REFUSED (NOROOT) FROM my.other.host ON TTY ttyp0.

I have read much of the available information regarding login.conf,
login.access and the login process, both in the system docs and on the
web, and I have not found any answers.

The login.conf man page says that the 'root' record, if present, will be
used for a 0 UID, and the 'default' record will be used when no root
record exists.  What happens when the login.conf is missing altogether?