Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2012 23:00:39 +0100
From:      Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
Subject:   Re: so, FreeBSD on VMware is dead, right?

On 2012-01-22 15:12, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 22.01.2012 02:15, schrieb Erich Dollansky:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder why I should run FreeBSD under VMware.
>>
>> On Sunday 22 January 2012 04:10:24 Jerry wrote:
>>> On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:12:53 -0500
>>> Michael Scheidell articulated:

>> I do not know anybody who runs FreeBSD in a VM. All run it native on their machines.
>
> I dual-boot FreeBSD, either bare-bones, or into a virtual machine - BUT
> that is VirtualBox with the PUEL'ed extension pack, on a 64-bit Linux
> amd64 host.
>
> And I don't care about VMWare at all since they took VMWare server 1.x
> off the market.
>   I've seen their pricing policies since the early days of VMWare
> Workstation 1.X many a year ago, and it's ridiculous (meaning way
> overpriced), and there are more reasons...

Private and enterprise are two different things (also in prising)
If our devs need a machine for testing or a project I can deploy a new machine in short time at one of our data-centers which is not doable with bare metal.

For private you can use the free ESXi and small corporates can use the foundation version ( less then 1000,- for three servers including VCenter ).
Most companies I know run everything virtual, one of the big plus is having all servers the same (virtual) HW platform, load balancing, failover ....