Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:35:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Intel Merced FreeBSD???

Lately i have seen a lot of speculation as to what will happen when the
Intel Merced comes out.  Will people wait 12-18 months for a 64 bit
Windows (that's the amount of time I keep hearing it will take them to get
Win2000 running on it) or will they just buy it and pop Linux onto it
right away?  If the majority of the people opt for option #2, it may mean
Linux will finally get a huge edge over M$!
	While Linux is a great OS, and I like seeing M$ have some
problems, I would even more like to have the assurance of being able to
run FreeBSD on 64 bit architecture.  Is there any port planned to that
system?  Has anyone even mention it? Also, will the lib/compat end up
having a linux32 and a linux64 directory so it can run both old Linux apps
and new?

-----

 We are now the Knights who say...
	"Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"

----