Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2000 10:01:54 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Brandon S. DeYoung" <brandon@schoolpeople.net>, "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems installing 4.1 on 3ware RAID 5200 & 6200

On Mon, 04 Sep 2000 12:35:37 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

>> 2) Allow profiling to complete, but leave the installer on the first screen
>> ("skip kernel configuration.....") until drives are idle.

A quick note on this method.
Given the notes I had read about letting the controller
initialize I tried the following:
After doing Alt3 I let it boot prior to trying to install
FreeBSD. I thought the controller would start on it's own so
even though the computer wa sitting with a "no boot disk error"
I thought it would be initializing. I left the computer like
this for a day.

Upon returning I rebooted and found that the RAID1 had still not
been initialized. Called 3ware and they said that once the
device tried to be accessed that it would start initializing.

Started the FreeBSD install to the point where i asked me for
media type. At this stage the twe driver has tried to access the
disks and the init process has started. Given the advice to let
it complete before proceeding I did that. While I was at the
office about 6 hours had elapsed and it was still going (if you
have the machine open you can see the controller lights). Next
morning the lights were off.

Continued the FreeBSD install and all seemed well.

I only played briefly  yesterday. Ran Bonnie and RAID0 seemed
about twice as fast. RAID1 seemed about 20% faster. I will do
some more tests today and by the weekend I will post all the
results.

francisco
Moderator of the Corporate BSD list
http://www.egroups.com/group/BSD_Corporate