Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:15:09 -0800
From:      Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ng_fec && pseudo-device vlan

Why don't ng_fec (Cisco FastEtherChannel netgraph module) and
`pseudo-device vlan' (802.1q trunking) work together?

I can get each of them to work independently.

If it makes any difference I cvsup'd to (and built/installed) RELENG_4
this morning

The following is my goal :

               Cisco Switch                              FreeBSD

                           /Port 4/1--------------fxp0\           /vlan0
dot1q Trunk - EtherChannel<                            >--fec0---<
                           \Port 4/2--------------fxp1/           \vlan1
                                                                   \vlan2
                                                                    \vlanN

I set this up as follows :

  kldload ng_fec
  /usr/sbin/ngctl mkpeer fec dummy fec
  /usr/sbin/ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"fxp0"'
  /usr/sbin/ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"fxp1"'
  ifconfig fxp0 up
  ifconfig fxp1 up
  ifconfig fec0 up
  ifconfig vlan0 inet 10.107.1.83 netmask 255.255.255.0 vlan 1 vlandev fec0 up

If I `tcpdump' fxp0 I see dot1q tagged packets
If I `tcpdump' fxp1 I see dot1q tagged packets
If I `tcpdump' fec0 I see dot1q tagged packets
If I `tcpdump' vlan0 I see nothing...

I am not skilled enough to diagnose the kernel internals to discern why
this doesn't work.  I am willing to test any patches that may turn up.

Thanks

 - Mike Hogsett