Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 16:56:17 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PCI/CardBus framework committed to -current

Thanks to Ted Faber, we now have a framework for supporting additional
PCI/CardBus controllers in PCMCIA legacy mode.  For now, the only
supported controller is the CLPD6832, but I'm hoping that others are
easily added.

Note, I modified his code to 'recognize' other card controllers in a
similar manner to the old code in -current, but it only enables support
for the above mentioned controller.  I need folks who have this
controller to test the code, and folks who have other controllers to
look at the code in /sys/pci/pcic_p.[ch], and copy what Ted has done for
your controller.

Before anyone gets too excited about CardBus support, this is *NOT*
that, but allows people with CardBus machines to use the older PCMCIA
(16-bit) cards, which are standard.  However, newer cards are CardBus
(32-bit), and we do *NOT* support them, or the controllers in 32-bit
mode.

However, this is a change in the right direction, at least for
supporting newer laptops which are almost exclusively using CardBus
controllers.

Finally, I also made the previous option PCIC_NOCLRREGS the default
option, since this is apparently needed for it to work on Ted's box.  I
tested it on my machines with no ill effects, but it could possibly
negatively affect others, so beware.  If it does, send me email and
we'll try and figure out how to work-around this.

On other fronts, there is still some suspend/resume problems with the
code in the tree, but there are some patches in testing that should
help.  These problems happen rarely and shouldn't affect most folks, but
I wanted you to be aware that resumes can still fail in certain
circumstances, and that I'm aware of the problem.

Nate

ps.  I need to see some testing on this code before I feel comfortable
bringing it into -stable, so *please* test it and don't wait for me to
bring it in, causing problems as previously happened. :(