Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:15:08 -0500
From:      "Eric Thornton" <gonesurfing@mail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS, sendmail problems

I'm new to DNS and sendmail and have been stumped on this one for a few days.

I have set up named to run a DNS for my fake internal LAN domain ".surfbbx". This LAN with internal IP's 192.168.0 connects to my ISP over a dialup gateway. I have set up named to deliver mail for my fake domian to an internal smtp mail server "barreled.surfbbx". Everything works fine while my gateway is connected, however when the link is down, sendmail on my other machines times out when contacting the smtp server "barreled".  Named, running on "barreled.surfbbx" gives me no errors on startup with the gateway link up or down. Nslookup and dig both return appropriate information for all machines depite the link as well. Why won't sendmail communicate with my dialup link down? And more importantly, why does a non-forewarded DNS running for a FAKE domain need an internet link anyway? Common sense seems that my local DNS should function without root servers availiable.  ANY info, explanations would be greatly appreciated. I would include all related files, but this email would be 4 pages long.

Thanks,
Eric