Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 16:46:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Dave Marquardt <marquard@zilker.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6

On 25 Jan 1998, Dave Marquardt wrote:

> Currently IBM uses socks and HTTP proxies, but it's conceivable that
> someday IBM might start using more modern firewalls, that would allow
> the 9 addresses out to the Internet directly.

  Why would they want to do that?  Proxies help to hide the internal
addresses.  If the internal addresses are hidden, why use allocated IP
address space at all?  Seems very wastely.

  InterNIC seems to agree with me, as they won't allocate blocks unless
25% are connected to the Internet immediately, and 50% within a year.

> -Dave

Tom