Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:37:24 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        bill@linuxcare.com, FBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Network trickles ...... cont'd

In the last episode (Oct 11), Greg Lehey said:
> > But I guess before that I'd need to look at the available network
> > card modules on my system and some definitions file. I would have
> > never guessed that 'fxp0' was the module name for the Intel
> > EEpro100, in Linux the module is called 'eepro100'.
>
> Why be so obvious? :-)
>
> In fact, the names of the drivers are lost in the mists of time.
> You'll find a correlation between boards and driver names in the file
> HARDWARE.TXT on the installation CD-ROM; there's also a copy on page
> 24 of "The Complete FreeBSD", Third Edition (page 21 in the Second
> Edition), but it's out of date.

There's actually a saner reason for most of the driver names; it's
based on the chipset on the card.  Lots of cheap cards might use the
same chipset (and driver), so using the model name/number is no good.
See how many different cards the "dc" (DEC clone) or "rl" (RealTek
chipset) drivers support, for example.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com