Date:      Sat, 02 Nov 1996 15:59:57 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: src/games/piano

Hi, Reference:
> From: asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
> Subject: Re: src/games/piano
>
>  * Bloat Alert ...  src/games/piano should be moved to ports/[games/piano].
>  * Piano is not even in 4.4BSD-Lite CD-ROM.
>
> Boy is this a major bloat or what.

132 Kilobytes of src/games bloat.
Besides piano/, new non 4.4 CD-ROM games/ bloat includes: bs/ grdc/ primes/,
(Addmitedly grdc & primes are utils, but not essential, all could go in ports)
	du -s -k  bs/ grdc/ primes/  piano/
		31      bs/
		7       grdc/
		87      primes/
		7       piano/

> ===
> >> ls /usr/src/games/piano
> total 7
> 1 CVS/          1 Makefile      1 README        1 piano.6       3 piano.c
> ===
>
> There aren't many source modules that are smaller than ports
> skeletons.  Congratulations, you just won the "most relevant post of
> the day" award!
>
> Satoshi
>
> P.S. My /usr/src/games/piano is 11KB, my /usr/ports/games/xroach is
>      29KB.  It hurts when you use CVS because there would be 4KB CVS
>      subdirectories for each directory (there are at least 3 if it's a
>      port).

The reason for FreeBSD src/games/ was (till now):
	~It's in UCB/BSD, & we don't want to ship a BSD subset~
however non BSD additions are normally debated before inclusion, maybe
src/games & obj games will continue to bloat unless a line is drawn ?

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/