Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 08:47:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        jgrosch@sirius.com
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, lenzi@bsi.com.br, brian@mediacity.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD beats SCO at its own game

According to Josef Grosch:
> >On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Lenzi, Sergio wrote:
> >
> >> A Small banking company 1 central and 4 "sites" are all running SCO with
> >> a cobol application based on mfcobol.
> >
> >COBOL...it never dies! :)

		Really.  (I wonder what the `mf' in `mfcobol'
			  stands for... .)

> The common wisdom has approximately 75% to 85% of all existing code is
> written in COBOL. Most of it is 15 to 20 years old and in bad need of a
> rewrite. Your checking account at your bank is maintained by a badly
> documented, bug ridden, 20 year old cobol program running on an IBM
> mainframe. Be afraid, be very afraid.
>
> [ DELETED ]

		Does anybody know if there are any translators
		available that can transform COBOL to another,
		more manageable language?  FORTRAN, for example.

		Trying to de-kink the rats' nests of
		billions and billions [good bye, Carl] lines of
		COBOL is death.  --This prob'ly belongs on the
		chat lists, but I'd be interested if there is
		such a translator.   This list would probably
		know.....

		gary kline