Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:53:29 -0500
From:      "Mike Grommet" <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   assigning two IP numbers via one network card?

I need to assign  two differerent IP numbers to the same machine...
perferabely using one network interface... I didnt see any examples in the
archives that provided much insight so here goes...

suppose I want to have a machine with the ip 192.0.2.1 for a local network
but I also need it to answer to 206.31.149.1 as well...

Is it possible to assign set such a thing up... its similar to how you can
have two IP's on one
win95 (and others) when you are on a tcp/ip network but are dialed into the
internet via an ISP
but I am not sure how to do with with a dedicated ip, and no modem ;)

Could anyone provide a good example here?

Mike Grommet
System Admin, and all around nice guy
Internet Solutions, Inc.
mgrommet@insolwwb.net