Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:38:50 +0000
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@shikima.mine.nu>
To:        Sam <sam@wa4phy.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comment

* Sam <sam@wa4phy.net> [020315 10:30]:
> Fwiw, I had been experiencing system wedging for no apparent reason
> about every 6 days.  9 days ago, I disabled softupdates, and have not
> had a single instance of a problem.  As of today, I rebuilt world &
> kernel from a cvsup 2 days ago. Everything went smoothly, with no
> problems.  I realize there have been some changes made to things related
> to softupdates, and have been following the -stable mailings.  I did see
> somewhat a degradation in disk activity with softupdates off, but for my
> usage, nothing that would seriously hurt.  Question.. in the last 30
> days, maybe more, were any really significant problems squashed with
> softupdates?  I was absent for about 2 weeks between Jan and early Mar,
> so didn't see everything.
>
> I may get fussed at for this, but who do I need to ask about bringing /
> porting a software package into the *bsd realm?

You want to make a port? Good man!
Have a look at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/

Softupdates seems nice n stable under STABLE at the moment, but then
I haven't had a problem with them in at least a year.

--
Don't look back, the lemmings are gaining on you.
Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns ::