Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 2002 13:00:08 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Hal Lynch <hal@cc.usu.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP: telnet vs. security

> Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 12:07:56 -0600
> From: Hal Lynch <hal@cc.usu.edu>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I am running 4.4-RELEASE-p26.
>
> I am trying to telnet out to a CISCO router.  It looks as though
> my side is trying to set up some kind of kerberos authentication.
> See below.  How do I prevent this from happening?  The router
> doesn't have a clue.  I am not running kerberos.
>
> hal
>
> ######################################
>  > telnet some.cisco.router
> Trying some.ip.address...
> Connected to some.cisco.router.
> Escape character is '^]'.
>

> User Access Verification
>
> Password: Kerberos:     No default realm defined for Kerberos!
>
> % Password:  timeout expired!

This is the normal operation. Telnet always tries to use Kerberos
authentication when the remote device supports it (which Cisco routers
do).

Have you considered reading the documentation? The FreeBSD team puts
considerable effort into keeping it up-to-date and complete so people
don't have to ask for help.
     -K      Specifies no automatic login to the remote system.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)