Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:03:23 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kerneld for FreeBSD

> > > The issue is with really small ram embedded systems.
> > > Making things CAPABLE of being small is different from making
> > > them dynamicly loadable.
> >
> > Nobody in their right mind is going to produce a "really small ram"
> > embedded system that features the sort of nondeterminism that
> > "automatically" (read 'randomly') unloading modules would involve.
>
> Gee, I guess you better tell the QNX folks that, who've been doing such
> things for as long as you've been programming.  Everyone is an idiot or
> a completely lunatic if they don't agree with you completely?

Since FreeBSD isn't QNX, and entirely lacks the infrastructure that they
have for this sort of thing, I don't get where you're going here.

We _are_ talking about FreeBSD here, not QNX, right?  If that's the case,
my point stands - trying to "automatically unload unused modules" in the
FreeBSD context simply isn't sufficiently deterministic or robust for
this argument to be valid.

There's too much "this would be good for X case" arguing going on, where
the proponent clearly hasn't thought much about the X case other than
that it sounds cool and might add some weight to their otherwise
unrelated pet cause.  "Really small embedded systems" appear to be the
Cool Cause Du Jour.

> Seems like everything is black/white for you lately Mike.  Thought about
> taking a vacation to cool off and relax?

Let me know how yours is doing you, and I might consider it.  How many
years has it been now? 8)