Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 09:25:38 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .s -> .S filename change in /sys

John Polstra wrote:
> In article <20000510151546.8ECC61CE6@overcee.netplex.com.au>,
> Peter Wemm  <peter@netplex.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > If Bruce is happy with it, then I am too.
>
> I am not one bit happy with it.  I don't want to go through this all
> the time:
>
>     vi locore.S
>     File not found
>     [JDP: Grrr, this is 4.0, so it's .s not .S, *grumble*]
>     vi locore.s
>
> And MFCs aren't going to be much fun either.  To me the whole exercise
> seems entirely gratuitous just to solve a problem which never comes up
> in normal use and which could be solved by other less intrusive means.
>
> In any case (since it appears I've already lost this argument), please
> please please rename _all_ of the .s files or _none_ of them.  If I
> need to edit an assembly language file, I don't want to have to think
> about whether it probably uses the preprocessor or not.  And I don't
> want to have to do yet another repo copy each time a file goes from
> not using the preprocessor to using it.

I've already stated my position on this. I'd like them all to be done and
to be consistant.  I'd also like to do the same for RELENG_4 and probably
even RELENG_3 so that we don't have MFC issues.

/sys/boot is a special case since it's *expressly* not cpp'ed - we could
leave that alone IMHO if that's preferable to the folks who live in that
space - so long as it's the same across branches where the code lives.

I will volunteer effort to make this happen on the older branches if nobody
else will do it.  (I have other urgent things I'm supposed to be spending
my time on, but this does need to be consistant)

Cheers,
-Peter