Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:54:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      Magnus B{ckstr|m <b@etek.chalmers.se>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Command to make modifications on multiple files

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Hmm ... I was kind of hoping for a single command that would do it for me,
> so I wouldn't have to debug something I'd write myself.  However, I'll
> consider this, if I can't find anything ready-made.  I'd prefer not to write
> a script of my own and discover a bug in it the hard way, which would mean a
> lot of restoring.

Your computer is a tool.  As is true about any tool that is truly useful,
it needs you to understand it if you are to get anything done.

Your computer is not an appliance.  It's not supposed to have an arbitrary
set of buttons for doing every this and that, because you would always
be able to think of something to do which there isn't a button for.

If you understand your tools, you'll be confident to craft the particular
instruments you need to get your job done.  If on the other hand you restrict
yourself to looking for the magic knob that will do your bidding of the day,
you will be learning very little and do very much senseless staring.

Please realize that you've been given a free toolbox the size of a small
industry.  You can do pretty much _anything_ with it.  If there is anything
you don't know how to do, ask, and learn.  It's satisfying.

// B