Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 16:47:18 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freefall.FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: LINUX emulation and uname(3).

> The goal is to run software.  If the emulation is incomplete then
> chances are some things won't run -- which means the emulator fails it's
> primary task.
>
> If you find the `Linux' report to be that hideous then make the output
> configurable.  But the default action should be as close to what Linux
> produces as possible.
>
> If Linux software doesn't run, for any reason, then the emulator has failed.

This is the issue of "bug comptatability".  Let us evaluate the
situation realistically, rather than wandering off ranting at the stars.

We have had Linux ABI emulation for quite some time now (two, three
years?).  In that time there have been many improvements from many
quarters, leading to a very useful feature set.  There have also been a
considerable number of problem reports, many of which have lead to
fixes.

In all those years, this is the first time that a problem has surfaced
with the return value from the uname() call.  It was also trivially
resolved in a positive fashion after minor discussion with the software
vendor.

By my reading of this, there is no problem.

mike