Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:49:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Stefano=20Busti?= <teppic11@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dubious ifconfig / tcpdump behaviour

Hi, I have a FreeBSD 4.8 box connected to the net
which until recently hasn't had any problems. Today
DNS lookups mysteriously stopped working (the box has
tinydns & dnscache installed to handle dns requests).

I noticed some strange things while checking the
problem with tcpdump. Tcpdump appears not to show any
traffic whatsoever on either my external interface or
internal lan interface, this despite the fact I was
successfully pinging hosts over both interfaces from a
different console while checking the traffic. I do get
notified about promiscuous mode being enabled and
disabled as normal, and a message at the end saying
that packets were successfully received by the kernel.
I just don't see the actual packets. Tcpdump had
always worked fine before, and still works normally on
the loopback interface.

Also I seem to be unable to disable either of the
affected interfaces with ifconfig, whereas in the past
I never had a problem doing this. Requests to bring
either interface down are silently ignored.

Does anyone have an idea what the cause could be? Have
I overlooked some obvious configuration issue, or
might tcpdump, ifconfig or any system routines they
call have been compromised? Sadly I hadn't installed
an intrusion detector such as tripwire previously, and
system logs don't _appear_ to show evidence of any compromise.