Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:08:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (mfs idea) Re: questions/problems with vm_fault() in Stable

:The buffer is just marked as dirty so that the FFS doesn't overwrite it.
:MFS _must_ reclaim them into it's own address space to avoid being
:overwritten.
:
:Since i assume that when a buffer is flushed it should then be free
:you have to 'give something back'
:...

    I think I understand.  The problem is that the system has no clue that
    the vm_page needs to be returned to MFS.  Once MFS gives the page away,
    that is the end of the matter as far as the system is concerned.

    Now, of course, we could *make* the system aware that it needs to do
    something special with the page -- but if we do not create a generally
    useful mechanism it would be nothing more then a bad hack.  Any mechanism
    that we would create to handle this situation would have to handle
    moving the page across an arbitrary number of VFS layers, and then either
    handed back down through the same layers or handed back to the original
    layer... we cannot assume it will be moved across only two VFS layers.

    Essentially, the vm_alias mechanism that I described would be able to
    handle this sort of situation.   Could we hack in something simpler?
    Probably, but it might not be generic enough to be useable in other
    situations.

						-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)