Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:20:13 -0500
From:      ben hubbard <ben@eproduct.org>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        Chris Byrnes <chris@jeah.net>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Click on to meet someone you Click with

This may be way out of left field, but I was thinking about it last night....

Would it be possible to filter the mail in anyway with the mail list software
at freebsd.org based on the subject lines? For example,  for this message, the
subject line would be

Subject: [freebsd-stable] Re: Click on to meet someone you Click with

or some variant. If it didn't have the [freebsd-stable] (change for whatever
the list address was) then the the reply bounces with a polite "you need to
put xxxx in your subject line" message to the original sender.  This would
stop the spam (since they usually have specific subject lines) and it would
also (added bonus) make it easier for those of us that filter the incoming
traffic from multiple lists to plop it all in the right folders.

the flip side is that this adds complication. But is it really all that bad?
If someone has to go find out the list address already anyway, they can read
another line about the subject line, or worse, they just get the bounce back
and get to send it again. Might also stop the various subscribe messages that
end up in the list, too ;-)

Of course, this may not be possible with the lsitserv software - it's not
something I've ever worked with to any great extent before.