Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 19:08:02 -0500
From:      Dave  Bender <bendede@startribune.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   X thru ppp alias?

Is it possible to run Xwindows using a FreeBSD machine running ppp -alias to connect the machines?

I'm working on a Windows NT machine at home running the Exceed xwindows server. When I dial in to the Solaris machines at work directly, I have no trouble running xterm, xemacs and all the rest of those fine X programs.

I'm in the process of setting up a FreeBSD machine as my home's connection to the Internet, via my ppp account at work and it works wonderfully for simple connections: http, telnet, stuff like that.

But when I try to connect from my NT machine to a Sun machine through the FreeBSD machine, the ip address of the -DISPLAY variable seems to get lost. On the home network, it's 10.0.0.1. But that's not the correct address for the Sun machine, which sees whatever address got assigned to the FreeBSD machine when it connected.

Is this making sense? Is there a solution?

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE (and loving it!)