Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 02:07:03 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Netscape hangs console with top showing "nfsaio"

Hi!

We have gotten a problem recenty, where Netscape (4.5, and also 4.06, I
believe) hang too often. top(1) shows that netscape is in 'select'
state. killing it with -15 puts netscape in 'nfsaio' state. After that,
programs continue to run; I can see programs, like top, printing its
output; I can open new windiws and start new programs (thus the mouse
works fine) but no keyboard input is accepted -- the X console gets more
or less useless until netscape decides to die, which can take a minute
or two, sometimes more. :(

Killing netscape with -9 right away seems to help.

The netscape binary is nfs mounted (all of /usr/local is, to be
specific). The user home dirs are also nfs mounted, from the same
server. The server is a recent stable-2.2:

#uname -a
FreeBSD trumpet.partitur.se 2.2.7-STABLE FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE #0: Thu
Sep  3 05:15:05 CEST 1998
root@trumpet.partitur.se:/usr/src/sys/compile/TRUMPET  i386

The clients are both a very recent current, and other stables like the
server.

I have tried installing netscape locally, but this doesn't help, so I
ruled that source out.

It seems that it might have to do with the mounted user dirs, though. I
say this partly because that's what left on nfs, when the binary is
installed locally, but also because I have seem this error frequently
when editing the preferences in Netscape. (It happens at other times
too, though).

I also know that Netscape's local IMAP mail cache directory should be
local or performance sucks, so I don't trust netscape accessing nfs
dirs... Might have been fixed in the new 4.5-PR2.

One thing that I have seen before, that could be related, is this:

>dmesg
de0: receive: 00:e0:29:25:51:c8: bad crc

Checking the time stamps, this is *probably* not related. I have seem it
for a long time, and have been told that I should not be concerned with
it; it's some debugging info. Still worth mentioning, perhaps.

One thing that helps, but doesn't kill off the problem altogether, is
raising limits  (bash command ulimit or tcsh command limit) before
starting netscape. I set the figures very high, and things got better,
but they didn't get good :(

Any ideas?

Need more input? Please ask me! I really need to solve this!

Best regards,
Palle