Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 1996 17:05:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Riffle <rif@ns.kconline.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Greg Hormann <ghormann@ns.kconline.com>, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, khetan@chain-work.iafrica.com
Subject:   Perhaps the same lock up problem

Within the past month, my 2.1.5-Stable machine has seemingly crashed in
the same manner as these people's machines twice.  I am writing this
message to verify they all did the same thing, so perhaps we can figure
out what is causing this (Assuming this isn't my imagination!)

What basically happened to my machine was, anything that would try to
access the Hard Drives would sit there and do nothing.  Things that
already were running which were not swapped out would still work.  My name
server still would function, and I was logged in via PPP, and that was
still working as I could go out to the world anywhere but to the box I was
dialed into.  Things that wouldn't work, were loggin in, telneting in, web
serving, etc.  Anything that seemed to have to access the hard drives.

Looking at a snipit from Michael Smiths posting, it appears this is what
happened to him

>*mumble*  our gateway/server box took a dive on thursday, and I've only
>just mostly got it back up (it fell over a little while after I got
>home this afternoon, screen saver & network were going, but no disk,
>no login.  Bad.)

Another snipit from Khetan Gajjar looks like about the same thing too.

>I've got quite a interesting problem, and I don't know where to start.
>My machine all of a sudden stops responding to commands.

>The console is still there, and I can switch to various terminals, but
>anything I type in there shows up, but there is no response from the
>system. I tried ctrl-alt-del, and the machine did nothing.

And, then there is one more person running 2.1.5-Release whom seemingly
had the same thing happen to him.

My machins has been really stable up until this month and I have not
changed anything, except it is serving more  hits and generally just
getting busyier.

Anyone else thing this same thing is happening to them?  I am unsure if
all 4 of us are having the same trouble, but it appears to be that way.

Specs on my machine are:
FreeBSD 2.1.5-Stable

P5-133
32 Megs ram
Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter
sd0 - Segate ST32430N 2 Gig SCSI drive
sd1 - MICROP 4421-07 2 Gig SCSI drive
sd2 - HP Tape Backup Drive

I am not sure if we all are having the same troubles here, but it appears
like that may be the case here.

Jim Riffle