Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:48:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        chirag@cse.iitb.ernet.in, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD X11 Desktop Theme Contest

Hi,

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Gary Kline wrote:

> According to Brett Taylor:

> > Okay - be warned.  It's a South Park-ified movie poster.  It's also
> > big (read 326 kB).  Sorry.  :-)

> 		Not-a-problem since I'm onsite.  That is a neat bg!
> 		The weather widget is nice.

Yeah - the distfile went belly up a few days ago (got stuck behind a
firewall at LANL).  The maintainer put up a copy on his site until the
author's site reappears.

> 		Another neat app would be having stock tickers from
> 		all over the world with whatever delay.  ---Sorry,
> 		I'm drifting.

I don't know if there's one dockcable for WindowMaker but there are a
number of apps available that will keep pop up a stock ticker for you.
Go to freshmeat.net and do a search on stock - something is bound to pop
up.

Just tried this - you get a lot of goo, but 2 or 3 real stock thingies.

> 		Got to check out that site!  It's be worthwhile
> 		having one of those JPEG's replace my present,
> 		grey xdm login screen.  Jordan mentioned doing
> 		something similar with Chuck a year or two ago.

My xdm login is the Beastie standing on a bluff overlooking a desert
landscape (see
http://www.freebsdmall.com/advocacy/images/daemon1-HQ-640x480.jpg) for a
small version - bigger versions are available there.  This image is also
available as a splash image (if you're running 3.0 or greater):

	http://www.baldwin.cx/splash/

Also, if you use Window Maker there's a FreeBSD theme w/ that image as the
background:

	http://wm.themes.org/minithemes.cgi?search=FreeBSD

The bars and such are too bright for my tastes, but that's easy to change
w/ The Gimp. :-)

> 		Is there a way of toggling that ``keep on top''
> 		off as well?

Not w/ a key shortcut - you can always go click on the attribute button
again to change it.  Not quite as fast but....  I'm sure there's a way to
do it w/ a key shortcut but I wouldn't know how.

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *
							  *