Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:14:30 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Jerry McAllister" <jerrymc@msu.edu>, "eBoundHost: Artur" <artur@eboundhost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: who wrote this

The phrase "Hitler quotes" is also important because it establishes
that "Godwin's Law" applies here to the quote file.  In short, if
a particular fortune or quote is so objectionable to someone that they
feel they must make a comparison to Hitler, then automatically they
are wrong and the quote is considered by everyone else to NOT be
objectionable.  Godwin's Law works because Hitler is, essentially,
the equivalent of the Christian Judas, of the modern world.

The reality of it is that because Hitler and Nazism was so incredibly
horrible, it is a societal absolute that we must never forget the
Holocaust nor ever allow our descendents to forget it.  Hitler made
some incredible statements in his day - things that are so unbelievable
that no sane person could imagine someone making them - and so
repeating some of the most insane of those quotes is actually
societies way of remembering the Holocaust.

For example, a famous quote of Hitler's is:

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature."

Hitler actually believed this, and when people see it and read it,
the quote illustrates how much of an incredible monster that Hitler
really was far better than reams of text.  Thus, inclusion of it
in the fortune database is a public service - because it reminds
us once more when we read it of how warped and degenerate that
governments can really become.

Unfortunately, there are people like the original poster who,
just as Godwin's law shows - are so blind and knee-jerking that
they would close their eyes and refuse to read such a quote nor
understand it's true meaning - simply because they knew that
Hitler said it.  It is because of this reason, that the reference
to Hitler on that webpage was made.

Fundamentally, you have to be educated to understand it.  FreeBSD
is first and formost, for the educated computer user.

Ted