Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 23:37:24 +0300
From:      Nimrod Mesika <nimrodm@bezeqint.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD onto second HDD

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 11:42:19AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Tamgiao Nguyen <tnguye21@umbc.edu> [000723 11:27] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 1> Is it possible to install FreeBSD, IN ITS ENTIRETY, onto the
> > second IDE HDD? (All 4 primary partitions on my first HDD are in
> > use.)
> >
> > 2> Must FreeBSD be installed to a primary partition (slice) or is
> > it any-disk-any-partition like Linux?
>
> Yes, and yes (primary partition only).

What is the reason behind that requirement (primary partition)?  I
thought a logical partition is just like any other partition, so what
seems to be the problem - the loader?

Maybe it's worth fixing (along with the <1024 cylinder requirement -
new LILO versions & new BIOS'es are known to overcome that limit).