Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 12:48:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@taronga.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

On Sun, 24 Sep 1995, Peter da Silva wrote:

> After you get that warning from /etc/daily and fix the installation problem
> you'll understand the process.
>
> If you use a script you'll never know if there's an installation problem until
> you find yourself rebuilding the script from your memory after the system
> doesn't come up one day.

	no backups ;(

> >	if you are using a non-offical port, you are NOT a newbie.
>
> Say *what*?
>
> >	that both use a master file.  one exists as a file, the other
> >exists as an artifact of ascii sort order (not obvious to our poor
> >newbie, especially when we have to explain that 10 comes before 2).
>
> 02 comes before 10

	as does 002.  still not obvious  to a newbie

> >	one directory for all start and stop scripts
>
> Not ideal, but acceptable.
>
> >	explicit invocation order, a list
>
> Then why bother having a directory at all? You might as well just keep on
> editing /etc/rc.local...
>
> >	dont have to flip directories to see how level 0 differs from
> >level 1--just check the list
>
> ls /etc/rc*.d is a list.
>
> >	no ascii sort order surprises ( 0 1 2 243 43)
>
> I've been using the System V scheme for ten years and I've never seen a
> single "ascii sort order" surprise, even from Oracle (and they're *really*
> sloppy about this stuff, or used to be).

	standard newbie stuff.  create 1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10

	hey why did 10 run before 2.   now i KNOW that 2 < 10.  2 ran
before 3, so i am right.  better file a bug report.

> >	no having to chase links
>
> No having to chase links.
>
> >	increased clarity (i hope)
>
> I find a script less clear than a directory listing.
>
> I've done it both ways. This one really does work better... well enough to
> have replaced /etc/rc on Xenix and s:user-startup on my Amiga.

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346