Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 00:38:26 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Default retry behaviour for mount_nfs

Ian Dowse wrote:

> In message <3B585C76.696F1E2A@mindspring.com>, Terry Lambert writes:
> >> FWIW, I vote that we rever to the traditional default and require
> >> -R1 or -b to avoid boot time hangs. The standard behaviour for most
> >> NFS implementations that I'm aware of would do this.
> >
> >I agree; people at work have bitched about this.  We have a
> >FreeBSD NFS server that's flakey.
>
> Ok, from the small set of responses so far, it seems that the most
> acceptable option is to change mount_nfs to behave in the old way
> where it will retry forever by default even in foreground mode.
> Below is a proposed patch that does this. It also adds two paragraphs
> near the start of the manpage which describe the default behaviour
> and point readers at the relevant options. Comments welcome.
>
> >The other thing is that it appears to break amd behaviour.
>
> Does amd use mount_nfs(8)? I thought it did the mount syscalls
> directly.

I don't care to understand the bowels of amd, since I see
enough of their product... 8-|.  But it seems the behaviour
changed between 4.3 and later, and it's been a problem (things
like "cd" time out instead of waiting until they can get a good
grip on the NFS server.  Very frustrating, when your CVS tree
or home directory lives on another machine.

-- Terry