Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 00:56:38 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Slava <slava@saminfotech.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: creating freebsd partition

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 02:42:16PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> OK, so extended partitions are a kludge, but I have a system already
> running Windows with a 6 GB disk that is already partitioned into a 4
> GB primary and a 2 GB extended partition.

I'd suggest copying all important files from that 2 Gb partition to
your first Windows Partition.  Then use "Partition magic" to move the
FreeBSD partition to the beginning of the disk, because some people
have reported problems with starting BSD from a partition over that 4
Gb limit.  You can still leave the Windows partition as active (which
will then be the second partition of the disk).

After all this, delete that extended partition and create a primary BSD
partition over it.  The rest is probably easy and boring to describe...

Giving 2 Gb to FreeBSd might seem like an overkill, at least at first,
but you'll get to appreciate that extra feeling of space "freedom" when
you try compiling some large meta-port with a lot of dependencies ;)

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"Don't let your schooling interfere with your education." [Mark Twain]