Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:42:23 nzst
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.1 chicken-and-egg kernel situation

I have a box (fred) which on which 3.* would not install because the PCI SCSI
controller was not recognized.  2.2.8 installs without a problem.  3.* doesn't
see the PCI controller.

I have been provided with a patch which fixes this situation and allows 3.1
to install.  I created a custom kernel with this patch and copied it to the
install floppies.  This allowed me to install 3.1-Release.  However, after rebooting,
I get a "cannot mount root" error (sorry, the exact message is at home).

I suspect this error occurs because the kernel installed doesn't have this custom
patch.  Does anyone concur?

My proposed solution is to copy the patched kernel [described in the first paragraph]
used on the install floppies to the root directory.  But how to do that?  I
assume I can do that using a fixit floppy and copy from another floppy to fred.
 Either that or just use ftp to get the kernel from my ftp server.

To compond the problem, the only floppy drive which works is in fred.  So I've
installed 2.2.8 on fred and I'm going to create some 3.1 fixit disks and use
them after installing 3.1.

FWIW: neither 3.* nor current sees the the PCI bus on my box.  I'll supply details
of the patch if anyone is interested (I'd do that now, but it's at home).

cheers.
-
Dan Langille