Date:      Sat, 09 Feb 2013 10:51:12 +0100
From:      Christoph Mallon <christoph.mallon@gmx.de>
To:        Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Unify printing the function name in panic messages()

On 09.02.2013 10:26, Bruce Evans wrote:

I knew, this would happen, the moment I typed "ancient god".

> Name lookup from the return address is broken for inline functions and
> for other optimizations like tail calls, but much more is broken for
> stack traces.

Thank you for contributing to my case.

As bde points out, optimisations interfere with location information gathered at runtime.
Having the right name of the function in the panic, ensures that at least the starting point is right.
My PANIC() macro guarantees exactly this.

	Christoph