Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 16:26:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        tcobb <tcobb@staff.circle.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   RE: DPT driver fails and panics with Degraded Array

On 29-May-98 tcobb wrote:

> Indeed. And that was the point of sending to freebsd-current.  I wanted
> anyone using the DPT driver and expecting it to perform appropriately in
> critical circumstances to know that it will not do so.  I perhaps should
> have sent the email to -hackers instead?  Or, maybe -scsi, like I did --
> it is a scsi driver problem I'm talking about.

I am steadily losing patience here :-(
You  have NOT provided me with any information indicating that the driver
is at fault.  My understanding of the DPT subsystem and of the driver for
FreeBSD indicate it is NOT a driver fault.

Before jumping into a conclusion as to what caused the problem, you shuld
have at least sent me a note about it.  Your desire to ``warn others'' is
suspect.  Not only is is suspect, but it may deter others from using
FreeBSD and/or the DPT drivers for no good reason.

> I agree.  I wouldn't have done so without provocation.  My counterpoint
> is that FreeBSD-STABLE is NOT stable, either.  Regardless, due to
> show-stopper bugs in -stable...

Again, you have yet to demonstrate any bug in any software here.

> My choices were:
>
> 1. Discard FreeBSD completely for this server.
> 2. Switch to a -current snapshot.
>
> I didn't want to do #1, so I spent two weeks rolling a -current snapshot
> release for my in-house use, I tested it, and tested it.  It works well.
>
> My posting was really to point to the fact that it appears that the DPT
> driver is deficient across ALL releases, not just -current.

Yet again, what exactly supports this opinion?

Simon

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                           Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG