Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:15:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   OSF/1 binary compatibility

I've taken NetBSD's OSF1 binary emulator (written by Chris Demetriou)
and ported it to FreeBSD.  I've added signifigant functionality so
that the FreeBSD version is able to run dynamically linked Digital
UNIX binaries.

With the software floating point completion code that was recently
done by Doug Rabson, as well the recently committed (by Doug, on my
behalf) stack fixes & minor changes to kern_exec.c, the emulator is
ready for general consumption.  Its available for download at
ftp://ftp.cs.duke.edu/pub/gallatin/osf1.tar.gz

You'll need a number of things in order to make it useful

a) a Digital UNIX or OSF/1 filesystem mounted at /compat/osf1,
	complete with shared libraries.  Remember that in order to legally use
	the shared libraries, your machine must be licensed to run Digital UNIX

b) a kernel built from very recent sources
	(you must have revision 1.92 or better of kern_exec.c)

c) an up-to-date /usr/share/mk so that your kernel module is
	built with the proper flags (-mno-fp-regs -Wa,-mev56)

To get started, download the above tarball and untar it into your
source tree.  Then cd to sys/modules/osf1 and build & install it.
Load the module with the just installed osf1 shell script.

I've done admittedly limited testing.  The following programs appear to
work without a hitch -- Netscape 4.5, Mathematica 3.0.2, xemacs 20.3.

The following have some problems:

Splus 3.4 -- command line editing doesn't work due to pty cloning problem
cvsup(*)  -- occasional m3 execption problem(static binary from http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~nanbor/CVSUP/cvsup-15.2-client-alpha.osf4.0b.tar.gz)
csh/tcsh  -- some sort of signal handling problem after a child exits

The known problems thus far are

o many tty ioctls are not implemented, or are implemented incorrectly
o signal handling is fragile
o programs, such as Adobe Acroread, which are linked to libmach use
	hard to emulate mach traps.  See README.mach-traps for CGD's words
	on this
o I really need to clean things up a little more..

Enjoy,

Drew