Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 1998 21:30:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        tcobb <tcobb@staff.circle.net>
Cc:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DPT driver fails and panics with Degraded Array

On 30-May-98 tcobb wrote:
> [...]

Assume is an acronym for making an A-s out of You and Me.  I routinely use
and test RAID-0, 1, 5, in configurations of 6, 7, 14, and 21 drives.

> *PERHAPS* the key point is that the driver developer hasn't tested the
> FreeBSD DPT driver with a RAID-5 array.  Perhaps not.

Perhaps your attitude can sustain improvement.  You are making presumptions
left and right.  Go read the code and then say where the failure is.

I have yet to see ANY direct communications from you, with ANY data.
The only thing that appears to be useful is the quote in the INQUIRY
message you posted here.  This indicates a very new release of the DPT
FIRMWARE.  So new, in fact, that my own internal contact at DPT has not
sent it to me yet.  The release prior to that was broken.
Have you had bothered to ASK me about it, I may have told you that days
ago.  Even supply you with a known, reliable firmware version.

> What is clear from my prior post (the really long one) is that in my
> configuration the DPT driver or some other FreeBSD software component
> does not correctly deal with the DPT hardware doing a background
> rebuild.

This is not clear at all.  Not to me.  What is clear to me is that I
completely lost any patience for you.

Simon

---

Sincerely Yours,