Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:37:43 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@www.svzserv.kemerovo.su>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   buggy gif in 4.4-STABLE (2 November 2001)

Hi!

1. It is impossible to kldload if_gif.ko when kernel was compiled without IPv6.

2. Suppose we need IPv4 over IPv4 tunnel. We can use
ifconfig gif0 create tunnel a.a.a.a b.b.b.b
ifconfig gif0 inet ....

If right route to b.b.b.b was 'default route' at gif0 creation time
and than we add new record to routing table that makes route
for b.b.b.b explicitly via another host, tunnel will be broken.
Kernel will still pass tunneled packets to the default route instead of
using new one. You must destroy gif0 completely:
'ifconfig gif0 down delete' is not enough,
'ifconfig gif0 deletetunnel' does not helps too,
you must use 'ifconfig gif0 destroy' and then recreate gif0 and tunnel
from scratch. This seems not to be right thing.

Eugene Grosbein