Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:48:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        karl@Mcs.Net (Karl Denninger)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, karl@Mcs.Net, fenner@parc.xerox.com, scrappy@ki.net, jdp@polstra.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sockets question...

> > > This does NOT happen with the 2.6.3 development kit and libraries.  It
> > > RELIABLY happens with -current.

Ugh.  This line was singularly unclear; "2.6.3 vs. -current".

> Its on the writing end.  Leaving all else alone and recompiling the writer
> with 2.7.x breaks, 2.6.3 works.

So it's the complier change that bit you.

What optimization flags, etc., are you using?

I would suggest turning off all optimization, and see if that fixes it.

o	If it does, isolate the offending code, file-by-file, by turning
	on optimization one file at a time.  You may get bit more than
	onces, so you should iterate this process once you find one file,
	and back it out.  This process will, if you go for half the
	remaining code at a time, take you log2(N) * M complies for N
	files and M places you get bitten.  8-(.

o	If it doesn't, then it is a generic problem in the code generator
	or a semantic change in an asm statement somewhere.  You will
	need to mix and match compilers, with the same effects.  I would
	suggest using two compilation directories and sapping the time
	dependencies to let you copy objects back and forth and link.

Then it's cc -S time, and diff the -S files.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.