Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 23:39:59 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: R-Day, 15th October, 1998 (BST or similar ;-)

At 07:08 PM 10/14/98 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
>Actually, Jordan's load is currently split between testing (where most
>of my effort right now is) and trying to have something ready for the
>Alpha at about the same time.

Alpha?

>> Was anything definitive decided?  Or is it going to wait for the next
release?

>To the very best of my knowledge, it will not be sprung on the
>unsuspecting 3.0 release.  Instead, it will probably be turned on as the
>default a couple of weeks after the release, so that people tracking 3.0
>will transition, but those using 3.0 flat will not.

OK, I'm still a bit unclear.  There have been dozens of messages concerning
the loader et all w/wo an ELF kernel.

So, for 3.0 will sysinstall install the new loader and boot blocks _or_
will this have to be done manually.

This only matters _if_ someone wants to build an ELF kernel.  If the new
loader is installed with 3.0, then there is no need to manually install the
new loader, which already can handle an aout or ELF kernel.

Thus making the transition smoother to full ELF (ie kernel) for the next
release.

Or did I a) miss the point of all the loader related threads, b) become so
confused with all the opinions on what *should* be done, and hence c)
re-reading the threads did not help one iota.

The CVS list isn't clearer, but seems just as chaotic.

Aw hell....

Further will 'make world'/'make buildworld' automagically install the new
load on 3.0 if the sysinstall does not?

Finally, if the new loader is not installed and/or building world does not,
will this be documented for those that want to build an ELF kernel with 3.0
(certainly they should track -current)?

>From what I read it seemed less painful to install the new loader, even if
it's setup as a transitionary measure to avoid the above confusion.  And
when the next release comes out it can install an ELF kernel from the start.

Whew!  Think I got that right.

And then all hell breaks loose after the freeze. 8-O

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net