Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:24:37 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ouch... (DEVFS)

Julian Elischer wrote:

> Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > Yet another minor problem: does DEVFS support vn(4) driver? I can't make
> > it work.

Ok I've looked at it quickly..
here's how you do it..
1/ the 'auto' feature does NOT work
so use a floppy definition to start with..

vnconfig /dev/rvn0 /tmp/imagefile
disklabel -w -r /dev/rvn0 floppy3
disklabel -r -e /dev/rvn0
[edit disklabel to taste.. make 'c' the whole file but make another
partition to mount. 'c' is special. it will not show up in /dev.]
newfs /dev/vn0a   # not rvn0a, this is a bug. I will fix this.

This has shown up a few bugs,
not the least of which is that newfs opens the disk READONLY and is
surprised when it is not allowed to write.
[BUG]
disklabel auto does something that stops it working when it can't
read a disklabel from the device first. I think it tries to do one of
those
disklabel IOCTLs (which of couse fails) and bombs out.
It also will not write a disklabel, even with -r, when it gets an error
from some specific IOCTLs (which it should ignore)
I will look at these problems when I get a chance.

julian