Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 18:41:54 -0500
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        hetzels@westbend.net, jeh@FreeBSD.ORG, joseph@randomnetworks.com, lioux@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, nbm@mithrandr.moria.org
Subject:   Re:  Multiple packages from one port

++ 03/01/02 18:13 -0500 - Mikhail Teterin:
| > |
| > | Perhaps, you are not explaining it to them well enough?.. Why is
| > |
| > | 	cd /usr/ports/whatever/you-want
| > | 	make install clean
| > |
| > | any more complicated, than
| > |
| > | 	cd /cdrom/ports/packages/All
| > | 	pkg_add you-want.tgz
| >
| > - there can be errors when compiling a port
|
| Not in the tested ports snapshot shipped on the CDs.

If we can ship a release with every port building perfectly I'll be
amazed.

| > - confusion about options to select with ports that have a dialog(1)
| >   configure script
|
| There   is  just   as  much   (or  as   little)  confusion   in  picking
| foo-mysql-nox11-au vs. foo-pgsql-gb

I suppose.

| > - remembering to update ports
|
| As if packages don't need updating...

pkg_delete -f/pkg_add is easier than using cvsup, make clean, making the
new port, and hoping that everything Just Works[tm] compilation wise.

| > - the concept of an "old" work/ directory (remember, these are people
| >   using unix for the first time)
|
| I don't know this concept... ``make install clean'' does not require it.

Just because *you* don't know this concept doesn't mean *other* people
don't.  Some people actually _forget_ to add 'clean', and get confused
when they see a port get updated (in cvsup output) and type "make
install" and nothing happens!  I appreciate this isn't a big problem and
it's not a ports collection problem, but little things like this get
people caught up.

| > - takes too long (well, this doesn't come under complicated, but while
| >   I'm listing complaints/problems they had...)
|
| > If you aren't  interested in packages, then ignore  the ports designed
| > with the  only purpose  of making  a specialized  package and  let the
| > people who _are_ interested in packages  deal with making a new system
| > and having these ports removed in time.
|
| That would be  a fine compromise between immediate removal  of the ports
| in question and inviting more such ports in the future... Assuming, that
| the  people  you  mention  do  indeed work  on  the  issue,  instead  of
| introducing more and more such  ports -- further degrading the integrity
| of the ports collection (wow, what a phrase!).

You don't seem to want to listen.  There is ** NO SOLUTION ** right now
besides adding more ports.  Since you don't seem to want to help out on
making this multi-package-from-one-port stuff happening, can you just
leave it alone already?  It's nothing new.

I'm done with this thread, it seems to be a futile task to make you
change your mind and see it from another point of view.

*sigh*

-pete

--
Pete Fritchman [petef@(databits.net|freebsd.org|csh.rit.edu)]