Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 13:42:06 +0200
From:      javier.marta.pinon@xunta.es
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP kernel too big?

Hi,
Just an inocent question! I've just customized the Generic Kernel corresponding
to the FreeBSD release 3.2, which was running without any problems on my

SIEMENS Primergy with 2 CPUs Intel Pentium II @ 450MHz, Intel 82440GX chipset
with ISA bridge, 512 MB RAM, a couple of 9 GB SCSI disks, Ultra 2 SCSI
controller SYMBIOS 53C895, SCSI cdrom NEC, SCSI HP dat C1537, ...

On a copy of the  /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC file, that named MYKERNELL,
I've enabled exactly the options described on
    http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/getstarted.html ,
where the SMP options are detailed, and then followed the steps described on the
online handbook:    ... handbook/kernelconfig-building.html  , namely,

   # /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
   # cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
   # make depend
   # make
   # make install

to build and install the new customized kernel, which was succesfully done.
Then, after rebooting normally, I've had a look at the new /kernel file,
11,010,322 bytes long versus the /kernel.old with only 2,329,748 bytes long.

My question is:    is it normal??

Thanks in advance for your help!!