Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:37:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Borkowsky <jcborkow@tcpns.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw pipe command

I have a question about using pipes in ipfw and hope this is the right
forum to ask this question.

I have a FreeBSD box connected to a DSL modem at Ethernet 802.3
(10Mb/s) half duplex connection. I am running ipfw on the box, and in
terms of filtering, NAT'ing, and port redirection, everything works fine.

I decided I wanted to try to use piping to bandwidth limit certain types
of traffic. After reading the man pages and ipfw HOW-TO, I came up with
the following simple configuration:

ipfw pipe 10 config bw 5Kbit/s queue 4Mbytes
ipfw add pipe 10 tcp from x.x.x.x 41000-42000 to any out xmit fxp0

So the first line creates a pipe that is limited to 5 Kb/s and has a queue
of 4Mbytes, which should limit traffic drops for large transfers.

The next line creates a rule saying if the traffic is TCP, and is sourced
from my FreeBSD box of IP address x.x.x.x and the source port is in the
range of 41000-42000 and is being transmitted out my external interface
(fxp0), it should use this pipe.

So now if I list the pipes, I see the following:

#ipfw pipe list 00010:  5.000 Kbit/s 0 ms 4 sl. 1 queues (1 buckets)
droptail mask: 0x00 0x00000000/0x0000 -> 0x00000000/0x0000
BKT Prot ___Source IP/port____ ____Dest. IP/port____ Tot_pkt/bytes
Pkt/Byte Drp

So I have my pipe at 5Kb/s, but it doesn't look like it is being used. I
then set up a test connection, use an external sniffer (SnifferPro) and
monitor my traffic sessions. However, any tcp traffic in the range of
41000-42000 that is being transmitted from my machine out that interface
is not being slowed to 5Kb/s, and is just grabbing all available bandwidth
(11,000 to 16,000 KBYTES/s). Can anyone that uses pipes tell me what I did
wrong or how to better troubleshoot this? Thanks!